Sunday, November 26, 2006

Hallmark Movies Always Make Me Cry...

Yup, I love Hallmark movies. True, I'm always in need of a Kleenex (or four!), but I love them. They always have such wholesome messages: usually about love and friendship; or finding what really matters (and makes you happy) in life.

Tonight I partially watched "Candles on Bay Street" starring Alicia Silverstone. I say partially because I fell asleep during some part in the middle (I blame it on a tryptophan-induced food coma from eating leftovers). At the end of the movie was this poem by a poet I'd never heard of before (but whose poetry I will be adding to my list of "to reads"):

First Figs by Edna St. Vincent Millay

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends –
It gives a lovely light


It reminds me of how transient this time we have here is. And that it is indeed a gift - this life we live - however bad it may seem at times. As a Christian, I'm comforted to know that all the good (and the bad) times we face are reflecting the Creator's "lovely light."

So, may He forever illumine the path before us with His glory...

No comments: