Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Martha (Stewart) Living?

Last week at Bible study we talked about self-righteousness - our innate ability to twist God's words into thoughts and habits we decidedly think best/holy. We become/are modern-day Pharisees, condemning others while we puff up our egos.

That night, I took a hard look at my motives and found that I am Martha. I have Martha-Righteousness. Instead of allowing others the joy of serving with me, I convince myself that by doing all the dirty, behind-the-scenes work, I allow them the opportunity to enjoy themselves. I'll sacrifice my time with God and His people for them. It's the right thing to do. Try as I might to convince myself, what really drives my heart is selfishness and pride.

And I don't like it because I know that He's calling for more Mary and less Martha in my life...

No comments: