Tuesday, February 26, 2008

You (all)

I've just returned from a weekend of volunteering at the Passion: DC Regional (in Fairfax, VA). It was a blast meeting tons of new people and serving an organization whose vision I totally stand behind. The weekend was made even more memorable rooming with 2 crazy Brazilian girls who LOVE people, taking tons of pictures and, more importantly, God.

While driving to meet a friend for brunch in Georgetown on Sunday, I realized something:
People are more inclined to do what you ask if you refer to others as "y'all" OR if you ask them to do stuff with a southern/other-than-Yankee accent.
I say this because I was given dirty looks from antsy college students who were trying their best to jet to the front rows for each session. Had I reworded things or used my best Southern accent, I'm positive they'd have complied eagerly:

YankeeAnnie: Don't run. Take your time, you'll find a seat. Thank you and enjoy yourselves!

South-of-Mason-Dixon-LineAnnie: Would y'all mind not runnin'? I'd reaaaallly appreciate it. Thanks.

[FYI: I've just volunteered for their Atlanta Regional in April... I'd better work on my drawl, yes? j/k ]

No comments: