Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Heart of a Child

Last night, we had a revival of sorts at our church to celebrate the end of our 40-days of prayer (of which I think I only made about half).

It's funny, the guest speaker (who I liken to a fobby Korean Randy Jackson) reflected on the passage of the woman and the alabaster jar (Mark 14:1-11). It's one of my favorites, as I find it to be one of the most challenging passages. And to which I can only - in my meager faith - aspire to one day.

He challenged us to be reckless in our devotion/love for God - to strive to come to a point where the world calls us foolish and wasteful (like the Pharisees did of the woman when she broke her jar of perfume and poured it over Jesus' head). Our faith must be alive within us; breathing and growing. It must not be calculated or premeditated, but a free and "irreversible" response from our hearts. It must be like that of a child - simple and of the moment so to speak.

Below is an exerpt from the blog of a British author I've been meaning to check out. It gives us a peak into the mind and faith of a child. [For the full entry, click here.]

A couple of days ago, at Soul Survivor, I was watching my four-year-old daughter dance. There she was, giving it some kind of epileptic salsa blended with martial arts, loving it.

“Why are you dancing, Evie?” I asked.

“God likes it,” she said.

It's my hope that I might have this kind of faith. So when the world questions why I live my life in abandon for my Savior, I can simple reply:

Because God likes it.

1 comment:

yellowinter said...

beautiful...