Monday, October 29, 2007

New beginnings?

My friends' wedding has come and gone. Months of planning, researching, scheduling and countless discussions are done and over with. My job as "the wedding planner" is over.

I'm relieved/exhausted. Wanderlust.

I told myself I'd hold out until this next week is over. Hold on and hold my breath a little longer before I blow out these candles and slowly turn the page to the hopes and wishes that await me. Before I take wobbly steps forward to a life fully my own.

For the past year or so I've been perusing Craigslist. Looking at apartments and job openings in a few cities I've eagerly wanted to go to for over a year now. Creating imaginary budgets. Daydreaming about finally seeing something other than these all-too-familiar bleach-white walls of this ho-hum life of mine. My stomach flutters a little like it does when you catch the glance of that guy you've been crushing over all semester-long.

But things are coming up.
Family obligations again.
Fear of failure.
Fear I won't be accepted or fit in.

It's those same feelings I had my very first days of high school and summer camp.

[FYI: I've been known to be quite wall-flowerish and awkward at first. Some have mistaken my silence for snobbery.]

There are days I wonder if I should just do it. Go for it now and not wait 'til the spring like I'd originally planned.

But...

I must wait. Hold out a little longer. Cushion the finances a little more.

Plus, I like the idea of leaving in Spring. It's a time of new beginnings and fresh skies.

I like that.

I need that.

It may be what's keeping me going in this Cloroxed, sterile life.

No comments: