Monday, August 25, 2008

On Death and Dying - Part Deux (or Trois?)

The OM at work, a very superstitious woman, told me one day that bad things come in threes.

I have no idea or wish to trust in that. I believe in a loving God who offers new days and new glories. He keeps no records of wrongs or bads. Fortune or misfortune aren't handed out like that free cup of coffee you get after you've accrued 10 punches on your coffee card. I'm pretty sure of that.

Even still, bad things happen. And sometimes they happen to good people. And sometimes there's just no rhyme or reason to the way God works out his plans and glories in our lives.

This past weekend, while on my way up to PA farm country for our church's intra-congregational picnic and mini Olympics, I randomly received a call from an old friend. She never calls me, so I found it odd and assumed it was about carpooling/details for another friend's birthday celebrations this week.

Later on, while reviewing my voicemails, I learned that her aunt, an old family friend and the wife of our old pastor from my childhood, had passed away suddenly. The message was drawn out. I could hear in this sister's voice the shock and disillusionment one only hears when misfortune knocks the wind out of you. It sounded as if she didn't really believe what she was saying. Her voice resonated the thoughts running through my mind and heart.

How could this have happened?
Why?
I just don't understand.


Tomorrow we will celebrate this beautiful woman's life at a memorial service. And, we who remain, will remember her and praise our Heavenly Father for blessing us all with a model of humility, self-sacrifice, love, wisdom, service and strength.

No comments: