Monday, July 14, 2008

Don't It Make My Brown [Shoes Red]

I'm tired.

I cried for no reason, briefly (thankfully) on Saturday as I made my way home from a friend's 40th birthday party. Afterwards, as an attempt to self-medicate, I went shoe shopping, finding the pair of dark red, peep toe pumps I'd been looking for forever, only to realize later that night, while standing in line for some gelato, that they were BROWN.

Maybe that's what I'm to learn in this weird place I find myself... To re-evaluate the things I've been living for/in. Maybe in the light of His glory, they won't look like what I'd hoped for after all. Maybe they'll fail in comparison to what is to come if only I hold on a little longer and/or take a leap of faith.

And maybe, just maybe, a friend will come along to offer a word of encouragement and call these brown shoes "Indian Red" to make me/you feel just a little bit better...

As the AllState commercials say: "I'm there."

No comments: