Friday, December 28, 2007

Lost In Translation (Mindless Drivel)

I've always been a curious child ~ wanting to see the ins and outs of this world. Nothing has changed.


There are a few moments of silence here in the office. The boss has left and the office staff is readying themselves for the weekend.


One of my bosses and the Office Manager are taking a moment to have a drink and watch the news. I think the news program has just aired more coverage of the Bhutto assassination.


Both sit in their confusion discussing what's happened. They're trying to wrap their minds around this culture that seems so backwards and alien. Angry, decisive, judgemental words escape from their mouths. Why do they act this way? They're crazy! Just look at them!


And I sit here. A quiet unseen observer and contributer.


Man is an odd creature. We react so vehemently against the unfamiliar.
We make up our minds without learning the full story. And we are satisfied ~ to continue on in ignorance for fear that the unknown things will alter us, will weaken our resolve or direction. That they will consume us like some incurable virus.


Ignorance is bliss. It's just easier.


As the years have passed - as I've watched/read reports or met people face-to-face - I've grown to become more uncomfortable with my ignorance. To know that there is more out there. That there is color and vibrancy outside Auntie Em's black and white world. I've learned not to take things at face value. To let the eyes of my heart adjust to the newness that confronts them as the clouds of unfamiliarity and fear lift.

I like to take in all aspects. Blame my overactive imagination or my unyielding desire to find out all I can. It can be an arduous task sometimes, especially when necessity calls for quick decisions.

I am a tortoise among hares.

Some issues don't have clear sides. They dance around in the gray like ghosts. It's usually those ideas that create the most havoc. These are the important matters, the ones that stir us. They require extensive periods of mulling and stewing even if no decision can be made about them.

I (think I still) am a tortoise among hares.






1 comment:

yellowinter said...

but the tortoise wins in the end, remember? hares usually rush to judgment and sit idly in their ignorance. i go back and forth being both, but asking questions and attempting to be informed are very important.
as for ms. bhutto... it's a very sad and scary times for that nation, but i also remember the tortuous road to democracy that korea had taken. they are still far from perfect, but they've come a long way.