Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sisters. There was never a pair of better sisters...

I don't have any sisters per se though I've always wanted an older one - she would have been invaluable during those adolescent years (and probably now). But I have a couple of friends I would consider to be surrogate sisters. One said "sister" is in town visiting from Boston. We've known each other since 6th grade when she was the popular girl (still is) and I was the quiet, awkward girl in the corner bunk of the cabin (still am *sigh*).

We've always been TERRIBLE at keeping in touch, but when we do find the time, it's as if nothing has changed.

Last night the 2 of us headed downtown to grab some dinner at one of Steven Starr's 50 (slight exaggeration) restaurants here. Afterwards, we headed to my favorite chocolatier for some hot chocolate (think warm, deilicious, makes-you-feel-heavenly chocolate). During those 3 hours we caught up. We talked about what's been going on in my heart and life these days and the transitions that have begun (slowly). I shared about the discouragement I've felt in a particular community and how it has wrecked my walk.

She listened. To all of it.

And when I was through, she voiced what my heart and soul already knew, but what the anger and hurt had clouded:

Annie, it's OK. The thing is: you're walking. You're still walking and that's all that matters.


She told me she would have understood if I'd decided to turn away from the church altogether because of what had happened this past year. Others would have bolted for the door. I would not be at fault for doing the same and being jaded.

I am thankful for sisters like this who listen with understanding, who offer their support and wisdom without judgment or rebuke.


Tonight we talked some more - this time about her life and the possible transitions to take place in the next year or so. Finding herself in a lull, she's waiting for a sign, a green light to take this leap into the next stage of her life.

I'm happy for her though saddened at the thought that she'll be thousands of miles away... again. It's been hard enough keeping in touch on the same coast, I don't want to think about what it will be like (again) if/when God leads her west.

In between these talks about our future plans, we talked about deeper issues. We shared our frustrations with the lack of social awareness in our circles of believers, about how so many Christians turn a blind eye to the obvious needs both at home and around the globe. We talked about faith. We talked about what it means to each of us to be Christians in the "modern" age and the legacies we hope to leave behind once we're gone.

I'm so thankful for my sisters E and M. Though both live miles away, I know I can always turn to them and not feel insecure or judged. Without relationships like these, I think I may have ended up in a padded cell or shaving all my hair off a la BritBrit.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww. PRAISE GOD! I know God truly does heal and get us through, through people, which you know, is hard for us, to deal with people, but God has sent us people to still, demand, listen, care, sympathize, console.. even two silly ones like us, one who is quiet in the corner, and the other who is not quiet, but still mentally wants to run to the corner, and dear E who just has such a warm healing personality wherever she goes...

you are just as treasured, yes, know that, by your friends and by God...

i hear thunder miles away, i think from the mountain in the center of the island. i feel the thunder rumbling, and i think it's God saying He's getting ready to answer and move in mighty ways.

With all my heart, I send you Christmas blessings. You are still standing and almost through the long valley.

-M

p.s. if E comes out West, I know a great solution to which you don't have to be 3000 miles away...
... first to take over Nash then to LA...

:P